General Statement of Duties
Performs a variety of responsible unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance, repair, and construction work on streets, grounds, water distribution, sewer collection system, and other public areas.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled labor tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, water distribution system, wastewater collections, grounds, lift stations and other public facilities and areas. Work also involves reading water meters, collection of yard waste and bulk trash, landscape maintenance, and related work. Work involves operating construction equipment and a variety of tools, and light and medium equipment to build, repair and replace sections of water and sewer lines, asphalt repair and other infrastructure. Employees are subject to working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as loud noises, vibration, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, and oils. Work is also subject to the final standards of OSHA on blood borne pathogens. Employees are also subject to on-call and call-back work. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation and inspection for adherence to instructions and standard trade and safety practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs in:
- Semi-skilled trade work in the construction, some maintenance and repair of water and sewer lines.
- asphalt repair to streets and other street facilities.
- erection, maintenance and repair of street signs.
- inclement weather operations, including snow removal, salting and snow plowing.
- clearing right of ways and leaf and limb removal; collects yard debris on residential routes; removes fallen limbs from streets.
- mowing, mulching, planting, seeding, irrigating, and other landscape maintenance tasks.
- other maintenance tasks such as painting, cleaning gutters, and building fences.
- a variety of light to heavy equipment including front end loaders, back hoes, dump trucks, tampers, trenchers, air compression driven equipment, tractors, trenchers, power saws, weed eaters, blowers, chipper, etc. performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs to equipment as necessary.
- traffic flagging and control and insures safe work zone when working around traffic.
- vehicle and equipment maintenance and minor repairs; keeps vehicles clean.
- skilled work tasks at city facilities which may include carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work.
- Prepares simple records of work activities.
- Additional Job Duties
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of:
- tools, materials and equipment used in public works and utility construction and maintenance work.
- the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- municipal maintenance and construction practices including some knowledge of street, grounds maintenance work and water and sewer line.
- traffic laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to operations of motorized equipment.
- Skill in:
- the use of tools and operation and maintenance of assigned equipment.
- basic utilization of Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to:
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, supervisors, subordinates and other employees.
- deal courteously with the general public.
- operate light to heavy construction and maintenance equipment safely and with skill.
- prepare simple written records of work activities.
- lead and train a crew.
- read and interpret documents and construction drawings.
- learn and utilize various computerized databases and systems
- Physical Requirements
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; 50 pounds of force frequently; and 20 pounds constantly.
- Must possess the visual acuity to operate mobile equipment such as the loader and dump truck in a safe manner, perform mechanical tasks, and to visually inspect the work performed.
- Desirable Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school and experience in semi-skilled maintenance, utility, or construction work; medium to heavy equipment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Special Requirements
- Possession of a valid North Carolina commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Possession or the ability to obtain:
- Traffic control certification.
- Competent Person Certification through OSHA
- May be asked to attain North Carolina Department of Agriculture right of way public pesticide applicator license and other certificates.
- Administering the Class
- The Public Services Technician requires two of the following: A Commercial Drivers License (within 6-month probation), ability to operate tools and light and medium equipment and ability participate in all aspects of the work.
For an application, CLICK HERE. Please turn in applications to Claremont City Hall at 3288 East Main Street, Claremont, NC. For any questions call 828-466-72555.
Salary Range: $27,924.00 to $41,886.00 per year